Sunday, May 2, 2010

Planning and packing (panicking?)

I'm a 48-year old mother of three boys, who took on diving only last year. So far I've done Advanced open water - course and Nitrox -course. This will be the ultimate adventure into waters teeming with all kinds of marine life, from sharks to Manta rays (hopefully) and exloring wrecks which lie in the bottom of the ocean...

In a few day's time my journey starts. Two new countries await! Thailand is one of my long standing favourites, been there several times and always want to go back. But Taiwan and Palau... So far I know them only from Travel Channel.
My previous diving experiences are from Bali (Tulamben), Philippines (Puerto Glera, Cebu, El Nido and Busuanga) and the Red Sea in Egypt (Sharm El Sheikh).
This trip is a fam trip, consisting of diving PATA (Pacific Asia Travel Association) members from Nordic countries. Finland, Sweden and Norway are represented this time. And we all work in a travel agency. The goal is to learn more of these countries, their culture and ways + of course experience world class diving.


As China Airlines charges an arm and a leg for diving equipment, luckily we get everything we need from Palau's local dive operator Fish'n'Fins. http://www.fishnfins.com/     
But still the packing needs some thought, as in Taiwan we do some trekking and also dinners in fancy hotels. In Palau just shorts and t-shirts suffice.  Here is a good video of Palau:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S12uE_kl2io

My mother gave me an invaluable tip decades ago for packing: Gather all the clothes on the bed, then put all the money on the table. Then take away half the clothes and double the money... Works like a charm! :-)
I try to do just that. The problem is, my size varies from spring to autumn, because in the summer I play a lot of golf and lose weight, but in the winter I just work a lot and sit and eat... So I have to try on every piece of clothing first!


Also I have planned for a round or two of golf in Thailand, so I must pack at least golfshoes (good for trekking?) and a shirt with collar. With the pile of clothes towering over me I now have to decide what I really need.
Give me strength... Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment