Tuesday, May 11, 2010

In Palau, finally!

Divers paradise!

400 rock islands with lush green cover, set in turquoise and emerald waters, here and there a golden white beach on an uninhabited island...  Heaven!

So far the hotels have been pretty basic, but it doesn't matter.

There is not so much to see on land, but oh boy underwater!  The sea is amazing with millions of teeming fish and other critters.  From sharks to Manta rays, from turtles to dolphins and all kinds of tropical fish.  It's like swimming, snorkeling or diving in an aquarium...



The exception is the Jellyfish lake:  Full of non-stinging jellies!  In 15 m there is a toxic layer, so we only did snorkelling there.  The lake is on an island, you have to trek up and down a jungle slope to get there.

Even riding a boat among the islands is so beautiful;  The colour of the water changes from aguamarine to turquoise to emerald...



The Blue Corner was the best place I've seen so far!!!  Lots of reef sharks, HUGE groupers and snappers, big tunas...  Would have liked to spend many hours there but the air is limited, unfortunately.  I recommend for all to get straight down to the corner, stay there for as long as you can (about 16 m on the reef shelf) and then come up again.  It's impossible to take in all the fishes in one go, though...  Next time I'll just hook myself in one spot and watch the ocean go by!

There are lots of photos on my Facebook page!

5 comments:

  1. Hi, I like your snorkeling photo. I hope you did not go down to 15m. Do you free dive, too? I love it! Thank you for your interesting blog! rgds. Peter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I do a lot of snorkelling and freediving too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, enjoy your stay in Thailand, be careful and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you freedive, do you go deep and stay long?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't stay that long... Not like some people I've seen in the videos spending ages under water. I'm not trained! :-)

    ReplyDelete