Sunday, May 2, 2010

Money matters

From my previous trips to Thailand I still have some Thai Baht left, good thing because when arriving at the airport you might want to buy a bottle of water (or Mekhong!) and it's embarrassing to pay for small buys with a credit card.  In Taiwan I need to exchange New Taiwan Dollars (NT) and in Palau I hear one manages with USD.  Pity that the Euro has dropped so much...

I always carry my currencies in a purse.  Not a handbag but a small 2-compartment leather pouch with clasp.  This way I can leave the wallet in the hotel safe, of course with passport, drivers license and the crown jewels.  Don't walk around with your entire fortune on you, leave them in the safe and especially be careful with the credit cards, just give them an outing to the nearest ATM machine and then back to the safe. In many countries the cc:s are copied in shops and then you get in your next invoice bills from  Australia...  Happened to me in Malaysia, and after that I've always paid cash for my shopping.

It is always best to leave the more valuable trinkets at home, too.  Or at least take a photo of them for the insurance company!

Travel insurance is a must!  I cannot imagine how people travel abroad without a proper insurance!  Especially divers need to check with their insurance company about the coverage.  "DAN" is the best bet if your own insurance does not cover diving:  http://www.daneurope.org/web/guest

Now back to packing...  Remember always to pack bathing suit and a change of clothes in the hand luggage!

1 comment:

  1. Pity I did not remember this when flying from Palau via Taipei to Bangkok: The luggage came only after some 20 hours... Even short flights, remember to pack necessities and a change of clothes in the hand luggage!

    ReplyDelete